“When the breath wanders, the mind is unsteady, but when the breath is still, so is the mind still.”
~ Hatha Yoga Pradipika
Yoga is the union of the breath, body, and mind. Breath being the most important part of that union. If you are breathing for the next 60 minutes, you are doing Yoga!
Prana is the fuel that feeds our bodies and gives us life. Prana literally means “breathing forth.” Ujjayi Pranayama is breathing in through the nose and out through the nose, the breath is felt in the throat, producing a hissing or oceananic sound. This sound keeps our mind focused, preventing it to wander during our practice. The mind becomes focused and calm, allowing us to move through a vinyasa, each pose flows into the next in unison with our breath. Your breath becomes the conduit between the body and the mind.
Benefits of Ujjayi Pranayama:
1. Improves concentration.
2. Instills endurance to hold poses.
3. Diminishes distractions and allows self-awareness.
4. Heats the body and removes toxins from the body.
5. Releases tension and tight areas in the body.
6. Relieves pain from headaches and sinus pressure.
7. Strengthens the nervous and digestive systems.